Am I at risk of drinking lemon water daily?
No one says “I don’t like lemon water” and it doesn’t take much time to make it. Hence it is most preferred by people to start their day. The health benefits such as enhanced immunity, weight loss, and glowing skin are the reason for its popularity. People can consume it either warm or cold. Just like its benefits, there are also disadvantages to drinking lemon water daily. Let’s look into them.
Preferred ways of lemon water consumption
- Mix four slices of lemon with 1 liter of water and drink 2 glasses daily.
- Mix warm lemon water, mint leaves, and honey for additional health benefits.
- Drink a glass of lemon water in the morning to get rid of toxins from the body.
Though there is no scientifically proven evidence of a fixed amount of daily consumption of lime water. Factors like health, age, and others affect the regular consumption of lemon water. Consult a health care professional before consuming packed or processed lemon water.
Interaction of lemon with medication:
In general, lemon doesn’t severely interact with any medications. But few studies state that citrus juice has an effect on medications that are responsible for calcium movement.
Certain medication rate of breakdown is affected like
- Nizoral (Ketoconazole)
- Halcion (Triazolam)
- Sporanox (Itraconazole)
- Mevacor (Lovastatin)
- Allegra (Fexofenadine).
Lemon juice may increase or decrease the side effects of these medications. Hence it is advised to consult a healthcare professional about the intake of lime juice every day while on the above medications.
Citrus fruits and migraines may have a connection
Despite the fact that there is no conclusive evidence, various researchers have found a link between migraines and citrus fruits over the years. In 2015, neurologist Rebecca Traub told Health that fruits like lemons are on doctors’ radars as potential migraine and headache triggers. Lemons contain more tyramine, a natural monoamine associated with headaches, than other fruits, according to WebMD. This stands as a disadvantage of drinking lemon water daily.
Positive facts about drinking Lemon Water daily
- Hydrating and refreshing –
- Enhances flavor and increases the urge in drinking more water.
- Refills nutrients and keeps us hydrated all day.
- Boosts the mood and gives fresh breathe instantly
- Body immunity increases –
- The presence of Vitamin C fights viral infections by strengthening the immune system.
- Heals sore throat and enriches resistance against seasonal flu
3. Supports the functioning of the liver –
- Contributes to the bile juice production and enables the proper functioning of the liver
- Eliminates hazardous vitamins and detoxifies the body
- Supports in weight loss –
The antioxidant in lemon decreased the addition of weight in a study on mice. Though it’s not proven among humans, it’s found that drinking lemon water kills hunger and it prevents unnecessary snacking. Lemon has fibers that work for weight loss and it also has low calories.
- Drinking lemon water daily aids in healthy skin –
- Helps in improving skin texture, discards pigmentation, and hydrates
- Vitamins and Antioxidants eliminate toxins and give a glow to the skin.
- It prevents wrinkles too
- Boosted metabolism –
- Declines inflammation in the body and aids in healthy functioning of the heart, brain, and muscles.
- The flavonoids without putting in calories boost metabolism.
- Enriches digestion and gut health –
- Prevents high sugar levels as pectin fibers in lime slow down the absorption of sugar
- Citric acid eradicates hazardous gut bacteria and enhances digestive health.
8. Donates necessary minerals –
- High potassium content balances the pH and electrolytes of the body.
- Gives essential minerals selenium, iron, and calcium. It enables to
- Stimulate heart and brain health
- Reduces blood pressure
- Suppress stones in the kidney
- Strengthens bones
- Enrich eyesight
- Enhances kidney function
- Lowers the risk of stroke
- Supports in iron-deficient anemia
Disadvantages of drinking lemon Water Daily
Moderate consumption of lemon water is recommended but excess intake can cause health issues. And here are 10 impediments
1. Damages teeth –
- The presence of high acids in lemon can lead to damage to the outer layer of the tooth or enamel. This leads to the elimination of minerals.
- Studies state that lemon juice plays a foundation for sensitivity and pain. Lemon juice had an erosive effect on teeth just like cold drinks.
To protect your teeth from the acid in lemon water, drink it with a straw. Brushing your teeth right after drinking lemon water is also a bad idea. Instead, drink a lot of plain water with a squeeze of lemon. It will lessen the likelihood of sensitivity.
2. Surplus of iron is one of the disadvantages of drinking lemon water daily
Any mineral in our bodies that surpasses the typical level is hazardous. The production of energy, the formation of hemoglobin, and the function of certain enzymes in the body all require a normal iron level. According to research, the vitamin C in lemon water can help with iron absorption.
It can help those who have low iron levels, but it can potentially cause hemochromatosis. It’s an overabundance of iron in the body that can harm organs over time. It can also cause fatigue, weakness, excessive blood sugar, and skin discoloration.
3. Harms stomach and causes ulcer
- It can harm the stomach if consumed on a regular basis and in large doses.
- Heartburn, nausea, and vomiting may occur as a result of the acidity. It may cause ulcers in the stomach and intestines. Avoid drinking lemon water every day if you are already susceptible to it.
4. Acid reflux and Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Acidic foods have been linked to gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and acid reflux, according to a recent study. Lemon’s acid irritates the inner linings of the food pipe, resulting in this condition.
- It gets worse if you drink lemon water on an empty stomach, thus persons with acid reflux should avoid drinking lemon water on a regular basis.
- Acid reflux can cause edema, worsen asthma, cough, a sour taste in the mouth, and disrupt sleep if it occurs at night.
5. Drinking lemon water daily results in worse Canker Sores
Canker sores are ulcers that form inside the mouth, usually beneath the tongue or on the inside of the cheeks. They are caused by acidic or spicy foods, vitamin deficiency, or braces, according to a study. Overconsumption of lemon water, according to the American Dental Association, can aggravate canker sores already present.
Eating and conversing can be difficult. You should stop drinking lemon water if you develop canker sores as a result of it.
6. Results in dehydration and frequent urination –
- Lemon juice is high in ascorbic acid and is diuretic in nature. Hence it can lead to increased urine generation in the kidneys.
- Urinating often flushes out electrolytes along with water. This leads to exhaustion, dehydration, excessive thirst, and dried lips.
- Acidic content irritates the urinary bladder and increases the urge to urinate.
7. Drinking lemon water daily has a notable effect on bones
Lemon water has been linked to bone health by certain researchers. Over time, lemon might diminish the number of lubricants in between the joints and bones.
8. Served in triggering a migraine
Migraines and headaches are among the drawbacks of drinking lemon water every day. Citrus fruits like lemon, according to research, can cause headaches and migraines. Tyramine is abundant in lemons and citrus fruits. Tyramine has been related to migraines and headaches, according to a study. People who suffer from long-term migraines may experience frequent migraine attacks as a result of drinking lemon water on a daily basis.
9. Hikes risk of cancer
- Psoralens are found in citrus fruits such as lemon. They are carcinogenic and have the potential to cause cancer.
- Increased consumption of lemon water (psoralens) has been linked to an increased risk of skin cancers such as melanoma, according to a study.
- Different sizes and colors of moles appear on the skin as a result of this. They can even ooze blood, although they don’t hurt. Consult a doctor if you detect any of these symptoms.
10. One of the disadvantages of drinking lemon water daily is the acceleration of Sunburn
Psoralens are found in lemons and other citrus fruits. It’s a substance that makes skin more susceptible to UV-A rays. Excessive sunburn can result from an increase in the skin’s light sensitivity. It has the potential to aggravate sunburn and produce phytophotodermatitis. It’s a form of skin inflammation caused by plant-based compounds that are released when exposed to UV light. It has the potential to result in
- Burning sensation
You don’t have to be concerned if you enjoy a hot cup of lemon water before bed or in the morning, as long as you drink it in moderation. However, adverse effects from drinking lemon water with honey in the morning are extremely rare. However, if you wish to consume lemon juice for therapeutic purposes, make sure you chat with your health care practitioner first. If you suffer any of the above or other problems from drinking lemon water on a daily basis, you should avoid or reduce the amount of lemon juice you consume.
- Hey all! This is Rini Esther and is a medico. I'm here to share knowledge that might help you and your loved ones to have a healthy lifestyle. I'll try my best to give reliable, genuine, and understandable content. Excited to serve you in this unique way!